Can a JP do only the Legal Part of the Ceremony?
Can a JP or notary make our marriage legal, but my friend or family member lead the ceremony?

Yes, we recommend this as a solution for couples who want a friend or family member to lead their public wedding. The JP or notary does the legal side of things before, during or after a non-officiant leads whatever sort of ceremony the couple would like. As long as a legally commissioned officiant witnesses the affirmation and completes the paperwork, the marriage will be legal.

Lay officiants frequently make errors completing the legal aspects of a marriage – thus, invalidating the marriage and making a host of other problems. We have more information about this, and solutions to avoid problems in these two blog articles:

★ Why asking a friend or family member to marry you jeopardizes the validity of your marriage

★ The difference between a legal marriage and a marriage ceremony