Last year, with the support of NH JPs, JPus successfully blocked the special officiant bill. Since that time we worked behind the scenes to have language in the bill modified. Although we were led to believe that changes would be made, they weren’t. A new bill, HB 1599, was submitted for the 2020 session and the language remains the same as last year.
Additional information about the bill and JPus’ activity is below in Related Links.
- The Justice of the Peace Association will be submitting this written statement to the New Hampshire House. It is in opposition to HB 1599, An Act Establishing a Special Marriage Officiant License.
- New Hampshire JPs may request to be included on JPus’ statement by emailing admin@JPus.org with their contact information.
In Opposition to HB 1599
- Learn about the problems with amateur marriage officiants here.
- JPus submitted alternative language to HB 1599 to address the problems with the bill.
- Read the text of HB 1599 here.
- The written statement JPus submitted to the House Judiciary Committee opposing HB 1599.
- See JPus’ written testimony opposing the 2019 NH bill.
- Read all about the behind-the-scenes details of what happened during the 2019 spring legislative session.
- JPus’ white paper about temporary officiants in Massachusetts illustrates the anticipated problems for New Hampshire.