Politics of Child Marriage
JPus’ managing member, Loretta Jay, was interviewed about the politics that affect legislation to end child marriage. A visiting fellow from Turkey, Dr. Senem Ertan-Savas is the lead investigator of the study. She is with the Women and Public Policy Program at the Harvard Kennedy School.
This research will systematically examine the dynamics of legislation to increase the age of marriage in different states. Furthermore, it will also investigate the debates around minimum age of marriage and the interaction between actors or factors involved in the legislation processes.
“It’s exciting that the Justice of the Peace Association’s advocacy efforts to end child marriage are recognized and included in this important research,” says Loretta Jay. One area Dr. Ertan-Savas asked about is the strategies JPus thinks are the most effective. (Answer: mobilizing constituents and behind the scenes work to resolve potential roadblocks.) Indeed, one of the most frustrating and sad realizations is when legislation to end child marriage stalls – even though there is no lobby opposing it.
When finished, the work will be submitted for publication in a scientific journal. Furthermore, a book is also in the works. Of course, JPus will share the published work when ready.
- Read more about JPus’ advocacy to raise the minimum age to wed.
- Follow our state-by-state changes to marriage laws
- Education and training for officiants about child and forced marriage.
- How membership voted to join the Coalition to End Child Marriage.
- See JPus managing member’s personal perspective on child marriage, posted on LinkedIn
- Peer-reviewed research demonstrating how child marriage is harmful.
Member Support for Members Only
There are many benefits to a membership with the Justice of the Peace Association. One of them is access to a robust Member Support section of the website with over 50 articles. Each one was written to help our members with knowledge and tips to enhance their services. For instance, topics range from performing ceremonies in a prison to professional liability insurance. From collecting payment from a couple to exploring your own implicit bias. And more.
These articles are available for members only. Thus, this means that to access the articles you must be logged into the JPus.org website.
Logging In to the JPus Website
If you forgot your password, simply click Lost Your Password on the login page. Enter the email address you use to log into JPus. Then, in the email sent to you, follow the prompts to reset your password.
- If you don’t see the email, please look in your spam folder. Then, after you are logged in, follow these instructions to add our email addresses to your safe senders list
- If you enter an incorrect password six times you will be locked out for one hour. Wait an hour, and then reset your password.
Survey – Officiant Qualifications & Appointments
Each state has a different process to appoint marriage officiants. We frequently hear about problems in Connecticut. There, justice of the peace appointments are political – even though there is nothing political about the role. The resulting problems are multifold, as evidenced by the many complaints reported to JPus from our members. In response, JPus is working with legislators and the Secretary of the State’s office and interviewing stakeholders. The plan is to formulate the research into a white paper to enact legislative change.
A related matter is qualifications – especially when comparing professionals with amateurs officiants. At JPus we oftentimes hear from members who suggest that training should be required before someone performs a wedding. Please tell us your opinion by completing our survey.
Websites’ Improved Performance
Take notice of the improved website performance of both findaJP.com and JPus.org. It’s a big deal!
The Justice of the Peace Association has made a significant investment to improve website hosting. In other words, even better performance, security and SEO. You may observe that the findaJP.com and JPus.org websites are faster. What you cannot see is Google taking notice. Increased page loading times results in enhanced couple engagement and better user experience.
findaJP.com is a very complex database website. As such, it requires the computer system to go through an extraordinary amount of steps each time a user searches for officiants on a state, county or town page. Or, when it searches for a specific member. In essence, this recent expenditure takes the website platforms to a whole new level.
Improved Site Performance
We all like a fast website. Naturally, rapid loading speeds have many benefits.
- Improved customer satisfaction. That means couples looking for an officiant, and our members, too!
- The improved hosting also results in better security and less interference – both affect search results.
- Strong conversion rates. This supports couples following links and connecting with their perfect JP or notary ~ you!
This is not a one-time deal. Know that we’re continuously optimizing the website for ongoing improvements. Thus, you can count on JPus to maximize benefits.
- Understanding the difference between JPus and findaJP
- How to Improve Profile Visibility
- See other website updates with the rebuild launch
Training – Working with the Deaf
Justices of the Peace, notaries and other marriage officiants will benefit from this learning opportunity. Participating in this webinar will increase your efficiency, helping you grow professionally and personally, making you a better marriage officiant.
- Enhance marketability.
- Improve access.
- Ensure consent.
More information and learning objectives are here.