It is official, and the Justice of the Peace Association is deeply honored to witness the momentous and long-overdue occasion. On September 9, 2022, Governor Charlie Baker ceremoniously signed the bill that ended child marriage in the state of Massachusetts.
After the private bill signing, speeches and celebration followed on the interior steps of the State House. It was an exciting day recognizing all of the hard work that went into protecting the state’s children from the human rights abuse of child marriage.
- JPus managing member Loretta Jay with Representative Kay Khan. Rep Khan and Senator Harriet Chandler led the legislative efforts for six years until the bill finally passed.
- The ceremonial pen
- Governor Baker with legislators and advocates
- JPus Managing Member Loretta Jay with the Unchained at Last crowd: Executive Director Fraidy Reiss, Samantha Marder and Becca Powell.
- Fierce advocates: Senator Chandler, Survivor Jenn, Representative Khan, Representative Ruth Balser
- See email from MA Representative Kay Khan thanking the state Coalition members
- Take JPus’ training for marriage officiants about child and forced marriage.
- Read about JPus’ efforts to end child marriage in all of the states we serve.
- JPus managing member’s LinkedIn article and interview about child marriage
- Learn about JPus members’ vote to join the Coalition to End Child Marriage.
- Our partners in the fight against child marriage, Unchained at Last and Tahirih Justice Center.