The Justice of the Peace Association is a founding member of the national Coalition to End Child Marriage. In addition, JPus is an active member of state coalitions with the same name.
Representative Kay Khan
We are grateful for Massachusetts State Representative Kay Khan ‘s leadership to end child marriage in the Commonwealth. Nonetheless, she thanks us! On May 31, 2022 she sent the following thanks and update to JPus and other Coalition members.
Dear Members of the Massachusetts Coalition to End Child Marriage,Please know that I am exceedingly grateful to all of you who helped create and support the legislation which became H.1709/S.937, An Act to End Child Marriage in Massachusetts, filed this session by myself, Representative Paul Donato and Senator Harriette Chandler.As you now know, as part of the Fiscal Year 2023 House Budget debate, H.1709 was filed as a budget amendment to the House Budget by House Minority Leader Bradley Jones and ultimately adopted.The response to this bill has been overwhelmingly positive with strong bipartisan support and I truly believe the monthly meetings of the coalition were instrumental in drawing attention to the need to move the bill forward and hopefully across the finish line soon.The final passage will be debated in the Fiscal Year 2023 budget House-Senate Conference Committee. If passed, the bill will close the loophole in Massachusetts allowing for child marriage with parental and judicial consent and will empower children in the Commonwealth.Thank you again, for your hard work and commitment to this important issue.Kay KhanState Representative
11th Middlesex District (Newton)
State House, Room 167
Boston, MA 02133617.722.2230
- Follow this bill and Coalition efforts in Massachusetts
- Take JPus’ training for marriage officiants about child and forced marriage.
- Read about JPus’ efforts to end child marriage in all of the states we serve.
- Learn about JPus members’ vote to join the Coalition to End Child Marriage.
- See JPus managing member’s personal perspective on child marriage, posted on LinkedIn
- Peer-reviewed research demonstrating how child marriage is harmful