Research about the harms of child marriage backs up the Justice of the Peace Association’s position opposing all marriages of people under the age of 18.
Peer Reviewed Research about Child Marriage in the United States
- Child marriage violates statutory rapes laws in 14 states, Journal of Adolescent Health, 2022, 70 (3), pages S72-S77.
- Child marriage in the United States: Prevalence and Implications, Journal of Adolescent Health, December 2021, 69 (6) Pages S8-S10.
- Child marriage in the United States and its association with mental health in women, Pediatrics, 128 (2011), pp. 524-530.
- Early teen marriage and future poverty, Demography (2010) 47 (3): 689–718.
- Read more about JPus’ advocacy to raise the minimum age to wed.
- Follow our state-by-state changes to marriage laws
- Education and training for officiants about child and forced marriage.
- How membership voted to join the Coalition to End Child Marriage.
- In 2018 JPus partnered with Unchained At Last. As a professional association representing secular marriage officiants, we told legislators that we are opposed to child marriage. Joining the coalition takes our position a step further. Our voice is even more powerful when we can tell legislators that our membership voted to join the Coalition.
- JPus’ partnership with the Tahirih Justice Center started in 2020 when we collaborated on a webinar for officiants about child and forced marriage.