The bill to end child marriage is stalled in the CT Senate.
The House already passed it, and the Governor promised to sign it. If they don’t act by Wednesday, the bill will die.
Connecticut could end child marriage right now — but HB6569, the bill that would ban it in the state, is stalling in the Senate and may not be called for a floor vote.
We need to take immediate action to urge the Senate President, Senator Martin Looney, to schedule the bill for a vote. Following are two action items:
- Please follow this link for an email campaign targeted at CT Senate President Looney. The Senate President has the power to bring HB6569 to the floor for a vote right now and end child marriage in Connecticut. The session ends on Wednesday and the bill will die if it is not voted upon. Customize the email to let him know you are a JP or town clerk.
- Gather at the Connecticut State Capitol tomorrow (Friday) wearing bridal gowns and veils, with our arms chained and mouths taped, to protest forced and child marriage and urge Connecticut senators to pass HB6569, the simple, commonsense bill that would eliminate all marriage before age 18, no exceptions.
June 2, 2023 at 10:00 AM
Connecticut State Capitol
210 Capitol Ave., Hartford, CT
If the senate doesn’t take action, this may turn into a perpetual Chain-In: at the capitol EVERY DAY until the end of the legislative session (June 7), unless the senate passes the bill.
Please join in! Details, FAQ and registration are HERE.
Thank you to our champions in the House! Representative Jillian Gillchrest, Representative Cristin McCarthy Vahey and Representative Sarah Keitt are busy navigating the politics to get this bill over the finish line.
- On May 3, 2023, the bill passed the House 98 to 45. Hooray! Watch the debate on the House floor. (Trigger warning: some verbiage by opponents of the bill is infuriating – and untrue.)
- Legislative activity in Connecticut to end child marriage, including JPus’ testimony to legislators.
- Information and a link to view JPus’ panel discussion about child marriage in Connecticut.
- Landing page for JPus activity involving child marriage in all of our states.
- Education and training for officiants about child and forced marriage
- How membership voted to join the Coalition to End Child Marriage.