Choosing the right time for your wedding ceremony does not need to feel overwhelming. Simply break down the pros and cons of each option and the right decision will soon become apparent. Many factors come into play, such as availability of the venue, guest schedule, and budget. To keep it simple, we’re comparing midday to evening ceremonies. The choice is yours, so think about what aspects of the day are most important to you. To start, let’s consider the advantages and disadvantages of each.
Midday Wedding Ceremony
- Budget: Hosting a midday wedding ceremony can be a cost-effective option for couples. Venues often offer discounted rates for daytime weddings, too.
- Plenty of daylight: A midday ceremony offers plenty of natural light, which is great for outdoor weddings ~ especially in the winter. This can also save money on lighting equipment or decor.
- Natural: Midday weddings tend to be less formal than evening weddings. This can create a relaxed and intimate atmosphere, perfect for a small wedding with close family and friends.
- Flexibility: A midday wedding ceremony will finish early enough in the day to allow for a variety of celebratory options.
- Climate: If you are having an outdoor midday wedding in summer, the heat can be a factor. Unpredictable high temperatures can make it uncomfortable for guests.
- Schedule: A midday wedding can disrupt routines for guests who may need to leave work or have other commitments.
- Prep Time: With a midday ceremony, there is less time for the couple and guests to get ready, especially if they need to travel to the venue.
Evening Wedding Ceremony
- Romantic: An evening wedding ceremony is ripe for a dreamy atmosphere, with dim lighting and candles creating a warm and cozy feel.
- Prep Time: With the day to get ready, there is more time for the couple and the wedding party to prepare.
- Formality: Evening weddings are generally considered more formal and elegant, making them ideal for black-tie events.
- Climate: An evening ceremony offers cooler temperatures, which can be a relief during the hot summer months.
- Cost: Evening weddings are generally more expensive than midday weddings as vendors may charge more for evening events.
- Shorter reception: An evening wedding ceremony means that the reception will start later, leaving less time for guests to enjoy the evening entertainment.
- Less daylight: The lack of natural light can make it difficult for some guests to get around. Whether it is navigate the venue or drive at night.
Of course, there are favorable reasons for both midday and evening wedding ceremonies. Likewise, there are some negative aspects, too. The decision ultimately comes down to what your vision is for your special day, and your priorities. A professional marriage officiant is adept at helping you work through the ins and outs of decision-making. Find your perfect JP or notary on findaJP.com, and then let them guide you through the process.
- Plan your wedding the way that YOU want it to be ~ Tradition be gone!
- When done right, all the work doesn’t show with a seamless wedding event.
- Small wedding trend.
Loretta Jay is the Managing Member of the Justice of the Peace Association. This is the membership organization for professional marriage officiants. All officiants’ profiles are searchable at findaJP.com, the place where Couples who Click can find their perfect JP.