Massachusetts JPs

JPs By State » Massachusetts JPs

Looking for a Massachusetts wedding officiant?

Visit to learn more about Massachusetts wedding laws and to search for a Justice of the Peace.

Becoming a JP

In Massachusetts, a justice of the peace is appointed by the Governor for a seven year term and confirmed by the Governors Council. Each city/town is allowed one justice for every 5000 residents. In addition to affirming marriages, JPs may take affirmations, oaths, and depositions. Sometimes they may call meetings. Here is a summary of dutiesApplications may be obtained from the Governor’s Council.

Non-residents, including JPs from other states, can marry people in Massachusetts.

The state prescribes the fees for the Solemnization of a Marriage. As such, JPus has advocated to increase the cap that can be charged.

Any Massachusetts city or town hall may issue a marriage license. The state’s Citizen Information Service provides contact information.

JPus Advocacy Efforts in Massachusetts

Related Links

Are you a Massachusetts JP?

Learn more about the benefits of a JPus membership.

Go Back To JP by State History