S.2063 Joint Committee on State Administration and Regulatory Oversight
On September 22, 2021, the Massachusetts Joint Committee on State Administration and Regulatory Oversight will hold a hearing on S.2063, the Resolve to create a commission to evaluate the One Day Solemnizer rule. This hearing is in response to JPus’ members concerns, conveyed through JPus’ January 2019 white paper. JPus and the Town Clerk Association would be members of the Commission.
Background: A summary of the problems with the One-Day Solemnizer rule and the Resolve’s legislative history is available.
Action is needed now. To be successful we need Massachusetts JPs, town clerks and their friends to engage legislators.
1. Call Committee Chairs and ask them to report the Resolve favorably out of Committee
- Chair: Senator Marc Pacheco, (617) 722-1551 or Marc.Pacheco@masenate.gov
- Vice Chair: Senator Rebecca Rauch, (617) 722-1555 or Becca.Rausch@masenate.gov
- Chair: Representative Antonio F.D. Cabral, (617) 722-2017 or Antonio.Cabral@mahouse.gov
- Vice Chair: Representative Christie P. Barber , (617) 722-2220 or Christine.Barber@mahouse.gov
You can also call the other Committee members. Here are their names and contact information.
Hello. My name is _________ and I live in the town/city of _______. I am calling to ask the Representative/Senator to vote S2063 favorably out of Committee. I am a JP (or Town Clerk), and I’ve seen lots of problems with the One-Day Solemnizer rule (give example). This Resolve would evaluate the rule and create a plan to address these problems. Thank you for your consideration.
2. Ask your legislators to co-sponsor the Resolve
- Help to find your legislator’s name and contact information.
- This article has tips on what to say when asking your legislators to co-sponsor legislation
3. Hearing on September 22, 2021, by Zoom
JPus’ Loretta Jay will testify at the hearing in support of the Resolve, and JPus will submit written testimony. Senator Gobi will also submit a statement in favor. It would be terrific if you testified, too.
- To register to testify on Zoom, please complete this form by 5:00PM on Friday, September 17, 2021. Once registered, you will receive further instruction on how to participate virtually the day before the hearing.
- Written testimony shall be addressed to the Committee Chairs (above) and can be submitted via email to Jordan Latham at email@example.com or Mary Wasylyk at firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline to submit written testimony is Friday, October 1, 2021 by 5:00PM.
- Problems with the 1-Day Rule: read a summary
- JPus submitted a white paper to Governor Charlie Baker’s office: see it here
- How-to tips on contacting your legislators, including links to find yours
- Read the Resolve to create a commission study to evaluate the One-Day Solemnizer rule
- One-Day Solemnizers jeopardize the systems that are in place to protect children from coercion into marriage. Read about JPus’ efforts to end child marriage.